E&D Manual, Strategies and Policies
Metanoia Institute is committed to building an organisational culture and tradition that celebrates diversity, that is fair, open and inclusive and where differences are celebrated, engagement is apparent, and the contributions of all are valued and respected.
It aims to provide an environment free from discrimination, bullying, harassment and victimisation, where all members of its community are treated with respect and dignity and where there is equality of opportunity for all regardless of his/her disability, HIV/AIDS status, race, ethnic or national origin, religion, gender (including gender identity), sexual orientation, marital status, social class, age, political affiliation, union activity or non- relevant criminal conviction.
In order to achieve the above and within a context of respecting difference and celebrating diversity, we are committed to:
1. Non-defensively exploring and monitoring our working practices, strategies, and policies, as a means of identifying and then amending the ways in which we inevitably, reflect the oppression and discrimination that is inherent in our society.
2. Actively encouraging full contribution, representation and access to our services, at all levels and in all contexts, using positive action where appropriate as a means of redressing the fact that unfair and discriminatory practices in society
(and therefore also within the MI) have, in the past, resulted in certain groups not having the equality of access that we wish to provide.
3. Creating an inclusive environment that promotes awareness, cultural competence and integration of difference, by investing in the training and development of all staff and volunteers, by treating everyone fairly and equitably, by combating harassment and discrimination within the Institute, and by encouraging an honest and open culture which values the differences between us.
4. Opposing all forms of discrimination, providing an environment free of stereotyped and oppressive beliefs, attitudes and practices and removing unfair, discriminatory and oppressive practices in all contexts and at all levels within the organisation.
5. Fostering a culture where staff and students are given the confidence to challenge acts and behaviour, which contravene the Institute’s Equality, Diversity & Inclusion Policy and the law.
To assist us to meet these aims we have written several policies which are contained within our Equality and Diversity Manual. These help us to support and guide us as we, in our various roles strive to meet our commitment to building the culture outlined above. The Equality and Diversity Manual, contains several documents, which include (in the order that they appear):
Metanoia Institute’s Equality and Diversity Charter
Metanoia Institute’s Equality and Diversity Policy
Metanoia Institute’s Safeguarding Policy
Metanoia Institute’s External Speakers and Events Policy
Metanoia Institute’s Equality and Diversity Committee (Terms of Reference)
Metanoia Institute’s Disabled Students Services
Dyslexia Marking Guidelines